Empathy First

I recently had a conversation with a mentor, in which I was the subject. Sharing as I was, I was surprised to find myself feeling increasingly confused and annoyed. I kept talking, and continued to listen to the detailed feedback, but I felt increasingly alone, misunderstood and distressed. Why?

Because the first thing I needed, and expected, I think, was some empathy. It wasn't therapy, but it was still very personal conversation. I expected more support and companionable sensitivity. Emotional affinity. That wasn't what I experienced.

So I was reminded - in a very personal way - that the very first thing that I must bring to the therapy or supervision conversation, the first thing I offer to the one who sits, vulnerable, across from me in my office, is compassion. Understanding.

Empathy first. It's the necessary start of healing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glad They Didn't Call

And Furthermore

Helplessness & Haiti