More Deadlines

It's Thursday night, and I have more writing deadlines. I'm late on my professional blog post at GoodTherapy.org (again), and I have a sermon to do for Sunday.

For the first 12 years of my parish ministry life, I preached about 46 Sunday sermons a year. I had time away for vacation, and occasionally for continuing education, or a bout with laryngitis, or a special guest preacher, but otherwise, I had a deadline every week. In addition, each year I had a half dozen Lenten sermons to write, a dozen or more funeral sermons to prepare, half a dozen wedding sermons, and a dozen or more newsletter columns to do. When I joined a staff for my last 8 years in the parish, the rhythm slowed to about every third Sunday plus the added services which I led. That's a lot of writing to the clock. That's a lot of writing, period. I know I learned to cope with this demand while an English major in college. What I remember most about my Major are the piles of papers I had to produce in every class. I was writing something, or some things, for some class All. The. Time.

I don't like that pressure. Never did. Even if I got good at it. So this is me, procrastinating, writing on my blog because I want to.

Writing well is not easy. It takes a lot of thought, and a pretty sharp mind. And a good deal of discipline. Just to be clear, I do have an idea what I'm going to write about on the GoodTherapy.org blog: I will be talking about how hard it is for family members to really listen to each other. And for my sermon, I will be talking about the OT story of Jacob wrestling with God as he makes his way back home to finally ask his brother Esau for forgiveness. So, I'm not a total slacker. I've got my central ideas for each project.

But whining occasionally helps me get back on track. And writing in my journal, or warming up on here. So tomorrow afternoon, after the gym, and my noon meeting, I'll be on the deck, writing my first drafts. Fountain pen to paper. Promise.

Comments

  1. Glad to hear it is not just me that feels this way often even in the travel business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all about accountability: got sermon first draft written on the deck, came in and finished up on the laptop. All done but the re-read Saturday night. Blog post for GT to be done in a couple of days. YEAH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice updating blog about different therapy.I like counseling and therapy topic for reading.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If something I have written inspires you to respond, please do so here. Be thoughtful, be brief.

Popular posts from this blog

In The Therapist's Office (now)

Memoirs R Us

Go To the Limits of Your Longing